Our Wedding: The Dress

August 18, 2009

That’s right, it’s done! I finished the dress yesterday (yes, last minute, I know) and I am sooooo happy! It is exactly what I wanted. It certainly didn’t come easy. Despite all the re-do’s and frustration I would never have done it differently. I’m so proud that I made my dress and it is just what I want to be wearing when I marry Geoff. Sigh…I can hardly wait.

Here is a photo of the full ensemble, veil, shoes, jewelry and all. You can see the colored petticoat peeking out ever so slightly at the bottom. HUMONGOUS thanks go out my mom and grandma who slaved over big poofy layers of tulle to help me make it. It’s a bit different that my original plan but I am super happy with the outcome. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Oh and if you plan on attempting a petticoat of your own, my advice is to make it first and give yourself plenty of time!

Here’s the back. It normally closes all the way, but my dress form is bigger than me now. That’s a good thing!

The sash was one of the last things I made yesterday. The dress just wouldn’t be complete without a nice big bow!

I made the flower originally for my hair, but last minute decided it looked better on the dress. I love it!

I cannot even put into words how excited I am. It’s great to see everything coming together. I’m excited for the parties, excited to see everything put together, excited to see all of my friends and family, but most of all, I’m excited to finally call Geoff my husband. I love his so much and cannot wait for the rest of our lives together.

Wanna check out the process of making the dress? Click here for the post!

• Share/Bookmark

Helena posted the following on August 18, 2009 at 7:33 pm.

IT LOOKS FABULOUS!!! I especially love the veil! I’m so excited to wear my dress on Saturday too… but where are your shoes like?

Kirst posted the following on August 19, 2009 at 6:07 am.

Wow. That looks amazing. I got married in June and wore a similar style dress and a birdcage veil (but I didn’t make them myself and had a sash instead of a bow – which is awesome, btw). The look was such a hit.
Have a wonderful wedding!

cara posted the following on September 21, 2009 at 2:02 pm.

oh my word, I’ve just popped over from 100layercake and had to say *what* a *stunningly fabulous* job on your dress! It is GORGEOUS + delightful!! I hope you don’t mind, but I’m scheduling a post either in December or Saturday, I’m undecided :D (I have a regular Dress Details feature, scheduled far in advance :D ), and hope it’s okay I highlight you (and photos from your photog, credits to you both). Congrats again, all your photos (and your wedding!) look fabulous!

redfrizzz posted the following on September 22, 2009 at 8:54 pm.

this is A M A Z I N G. i would love to wear this on my own wedding day. WOW. please tell HOW you did it, what material, how how how? Will you make mine? Beautiful job, and lady, you look damn fine in it!!!

Pingback from Our Wedding: Part 3 | The DETAILS! | The Blog! Lisa Welge Photography & Design

[...] and Geoff was on board with the projects and even willing to help. You already know I made my own wedding dress, veil, bridesmaids dresses and invitations and all the paper goods. Well, there is more, my [...]

Pingback from :::: The Inspired Bride ::::

[...] Design for OnceWed on Design*Sponge; beautiful DIY-filled wedding on 100 Layer Cake featuring a breathtaking dress made by the bride; gorgeous tablescape by Carter & Cook via Style Me Pretty. Filed: Week in [...]

Jen posted the following on October 13, 2009 at 11:24 am.

Lisa, your dress is totally fantastic…would you be willing to publish how you made your petticoat? I am totally in love with it and have been dreaming about it (for real…I wake up tired from sewing in my sleep).

I would love your input!

Jen

Pingback from { :: love ardently :: } » Five Favorite Found Friday

[...] Lisa Welge. Some people are just too talented for words. Lisa made her own wedding dress, bridesmaid’s dresses, veil, and invitation. And if it’ possible I think she would also [...]

Anna posted the following on March 13, 2010 at 3:15 pm.

I’m looking for about the same thing for my wedding and I’m just in the budgeting part and I was wondering how much it cost to make the dress and veil.

limi posted the following on August 22, 2010 at 8:11 pm.

so beautiful

Lynn posted the following on June 24, 2011 at 7:18 am.

So, how did you do the bodice? I am in the beginning stages of crafting a similar wedding dress and simply cannot find a pattern for that crossover design. Did you just make the corset and then drape and fold the fabric over it and make the pleats/gathers that way? Did you cut pattern pieces bigger to do that?

I’d appreciate any guidance from you since yours came out so well!

Thanks!