Our Wedding: I made a veil (with a quick how-to!)

August 18, 2009

When life is redonkulously busy, some of the wedding details get left until the last minute. Tonight, I made my birdcage veil. I am really happy with the outcome, so I thought I’d post a quick tutorial!

Basically, the ingredients were one yard of russian netting, a fake flower from the craft store, cute little scrapbooking flowers and hot glue. With the sewing machine, I gathered the netting on both of the short ends, and also along one long side. I gathered this all together in a pleasing shape then sewed like crazy over all of it, making a flat area to attach the flower.

To make the flower part, I dissected a faux flower, took all of the plastic bits out, then hot glued together enough layers of petals together to get the look I wanted. Then I glued in the little yellow flowers. (you can glue in anything you want, really, i.e. below)

Geoff said this was too random to wear with the real veil, so I think it will have to make an appearance at the reception. Yesssss. Really, who doesn’t love dinosaurs?

I glued the fabric to the gathered part of the netting with the hot glue. Then I added two alligator clips, for attaching the veil to my hair. I promise a much better tutorial soon for making hair flowers in this manner, they are so much fun!

Voila! Veil you have it! (ooh, bad pun.) Oh and that thing at the bottom of the picture below, its my dress. Its DONE! I am so excited! A post about it is coming soon I promise! I just need to take some good photos of it. 4 days to go, people!!!

• Share/Bookmark

Geoff Bardot posted the following on August 18, 2009 at 3:57 am.

I love you tons. I can not wait for our wedding! It is bed time soon. Yes it is 2 in the morning and we are both busy doing stuff. Cuddle time!

Sarah Maren posted the following on August 18, 2009 at 10:01 am.

I get to take pictures of all this! Every freaking day I get more and more excited! FOR REALS! Saturday is going to be my dream come true! Hooray!

Stacy posted the following on August 20, 2009 at 11:33 am.

Hey Lisa! I love that you made pretty much everything for your wedding, a crafty girl after my own heart! where did you find the french tulle? Congrats on your wedding! talk with yous two soon.

Courtney posted the following on September 23, 2009 at 7:30 pm.

Gorgeous! I spied your lovely veil on 100 Layer cake and HAD to see how you made it. I have a few months until my big day, and I’m not daring or crafty enough to make my own dress, but I think I can handle my own veil! Where did you find the Russian netting?
Thanks!
Courtney

--> LisaWelge posted the following on September 23, 2009 at 9:51 pm.

Thank you! I got the Russian netting from Britex Fabrics in San Francisco. I imagine you could find it at most fabrics stores, if not online. Good luck! Let me know if you have any other questions and DO send photos!

Lexy posted the following on October 4, 2009 at 11:31 am.

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for, and you made it so easy! Thanks so much!

Oriyah posted the following on December 7, 2009 at 8:48 am.

Congrads!!!!
I actually LOVE this…and also was checking out your dress form. Did you make that too?
I just tried one with duct tape and even tho I used 2 instead of the recommended 2, after a few days the entire thing literally just unstuck and fell apart, leaving stuffing with sticky tape rolled all around it.
Advice?
Happy being newlyweds, and thanks for sharing your awesome idea!

Wendy posted the following on March 10, 2010 at 3:45 am.

We are making my dress together with a friend, and it”s very similar to yours, except that it is not strapless, and has a V-neck. We created the petticoat already, and it’s so cool! Many people think it’s impossible to make your own dress, but your example shows absolutely the opposite! You looked gorgeous!
It’s good to see someone with a similar taste:)
Good luck
Wendy (from Hungary, Budapest)

Eden posted the following on April 29, 2010 at 3:02 am.

That is so cool. I love this idea. I want a 50’s type of wedding, but want to do a lot myself you rlly helped out. Thanks.