Our Wedding: How to make a mustache-on-a-stick!

August 17, 2009

Mustachio! I’ve seen the mustache craze circling the wedding blogsphere and I just think they are adorable. So Geoff and I both enthusiastically gave project mustache-on-a-stick the thumbs up. We got together with our very helpful friends to make about 80 of them. I’m happy to share a how-to on how we made our mustachios. (with templates!) Oh, and did I mention very how very inexpensive they are to make?!

Supplies
Craft felt (two sheets make about 3-5 ’staches)
Hot glue gun/glue sticks
Craft dowels (we used the 1/4″ size)
Scissors
Mustachio Template (Click here to download)

1. Cut your ’stache
You need two layers of each mustache for each stick. You can use the templates I created (can you spot the Mario ’stache?) or just freehand it.

2. Get gluing
Line up your layers and start gluing with hot glue between the two layers about halfway through the mustache. In order to get the felt really stiff, I made sure to use a lot of glue so that it covered the entire shape, not just the edges.

3. Stick it
Insert the stick on the side of the mustache, making sure to glue both sides of the stick to the felt. Finish up applying glue to the rest of the mustache and you are good to go! You can even tie on a ribbon to coordinate with your wedding colors.

4. Take funny photos!
The mustache-on-a-stick makes for hilariously dignified photographs. The shots below are from the test run of the Photobooth we are putting together for the wedding. (Sorry they are slightly indecent). Have fun!

Geoff and Lisa wedding countdown: 5 DAYS! Can you tell I’m a WEEE bit excited?

• Share/Bookmark

elise posted the following on August 17, 2009 at 6:47 pm.

this is too cute. obsessed.

Pam posted the following on September 2, 2009 at 2:33 pm.

Hi there,

I was wondering if you had any mustaches left? I’m a wedding planner looking for these for a bride and I’m not crafty:) Would you be willing to make more for a $$?

Thanks,
Pam

Pingback from Our Wedding: Part 3 | The DETAILS! | The Blog! Lisa Welge Photography & Design

[...] addition to the games we had our DIY mustaches on a stick at all of the tables and orange and yellow Dahlias in Strauss Creamery (the best dairy EVER, [...]

geek+nerd posted the following on November 6, 2009 at 9:29 am.

Thanks for the mustache template! I’m going to make a “Bag of Disguises” for my nephew for Christmas, and he’s going to love all of these!

kristine b posted the following on December 18, 2009 at 12:21 am.

I’m amazed at your skills and all the details you took care of. I’m just a bridesmaid looking for decoration ideas for my friends wedding. And I came across your wedding and I just had to give you kudos. Great job and looks like it was a FUN wedding. And I’ve been to lots.

Ty posted the following on March 12, 2010 at 3:15 pm.

This is…… AWESOME!. Thanks for providing the templates.

Gabrielle posted the following on March 26, 2010 at 9:50 pm.

I absolutely loved this idea. (: Very cute.

Moxie posted the following on March 31, 2010 at 11:04 pm.

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!!!
I tried Martha Stewart’s way and it was terribly difficult and time consuming. I am making these for all my guests, and I just started this afternoon and made over a dozen in just two hours! I made my own templates (I wanted a Salvador Dali ‘tache) and they look amazing.

Pingback from Mustached Themed Wedding | Weddings Unveiled Blog

[...] a fun way to get everyone (yes, including your grandma) in on the fun of your celebration. You can make the staches yourself or buy mustaches on a stick for your favors. Cute, right? Come see Whitney [...]

Michelle Odom of East Crast Crafty posted the following on June 3, 2010 at 5:55 am.

Love love love this idea!! Hoping to use it for an up coming Etsy Craft Party here in Va.!!!

Michelle Odom posted the following on June 8, 2010 at 5:30 am.

Love your mustaches!! Very cool and funny!! I am going to use your idea for an upcoming Etsy Craft Party on June 18th!! So excited. Now I have to figure out the best way to do up a photo booth. Any ideas???
Thanks,
Michelle

OldNewDress posted the following on June 16, 2010 at 12:56 pm.

I love these, using your templates for a craft party I’m having!

jamie posted the following on July 3, 2011 at 1:16 pm.

Thank you! This template is perfection!

babygeartoday posted the following on October 2, 2011 at 10:47 am.

This was exactly what I was looking for for our Circus Party Event!!! Thanks so much!!! I will be adding you to my list of places to get circus type items on my site!!! Thanks!!!

Green Blog posted the following on November 12, 2011 at 6:35 pm.

Lisa! These mustache props are crazy good, we love em!
I’m going to make some of these for our baby boys first birthday bash, thanks for the tutorial :)

Diane posted the following on December 9, 2011 at 9:00 pm.

Hi! I love these mustaches! I made some for a dinner I hosted for some HS Seniors and their friends. It was a big hit! :)

Anyway, I am doing a giveaway on Monday and wanted to include your pattern. Now that I am thinking about it, I can just link to this, but I wanted to print out the sheet and add it with the supplies I am sending out. I hope that is ok. Will you let me know? Otherwise I will just link to here. (Either way I will link to this post).

Thank you!