Our Wedding: The DIY, ultra-versatile bridesmaids dresses!

July 15, 2009

Before Geoff and I got engaged I found (and shortly became obsessed with) this amazing convertible dress, aka infinity dress, aka easy-peasy wonder dress! I found the tutorial to make it from Rostitchery. It’s basically a skirt with two long wide straps that you can wrap around you and wear in dozens of ways. I made myself a couple and loved them!

So when I started to think of potential bridesmaids dresses, these instantly came to mind. Cute, casual, COMFORTABLE, and very versatile. All my girls get to wear the dresses whatever way they like best. So I took on the task of making them for my 4 bridesmaids. They took about 1-2 hours each and were pretty inexpensive too. (Costing under $60 each!). Here they are hanging up.

There are designers that make a similar dress, like Butter by Nadia and Two Birds Bridesmaids. My version sported a few tweaks like built-in tube top and one was even a maternity version for my MOH. I wrapped them all up and packaged them with a note filled with websites that feature the dress with pics and videos about how to tie them.

I gave them beaded necklaces to wear on the big day. (Oh, how I adore chunky beaded necklaces!)

I gave them to the girls on Friday and we had a “Wrap Party”. We played with the dresses and all the different ways to wear them. It was a bunch of fun and I think all the girls liked the dresses. I had a great time making them for all my favorite girls! I can’t wait to show off what they all looked like in them! Just over a month until the BIG DAY!

• Share/Bookmark

Laura posted the following on July 15, 2009 at 5:32 pm.

these are AWESOME! plus, the photos of them aren’t too shabby. i think you are my creative idol :) and yes, i visit your blog daily lately! :)

Helena posted the following on July 15, 2009 at 7:26 pm.

I love my dress! Thanks Lisa for not having me wear something ugly and having to be fake about it!

Holly posted the following on July 15, 2009 at 8:19 pm.

You are like the Martha Stewart of wedding stuff!! Amazing. And so so adorable.

Aimee posted the following on July 15, 2009 at 8:33 pm.

You are my DIY idol. Seriously! And that’s my favorite shade of my favorite color. :)
We need to hang out more so you can rub off on me! And teach me how to make cool things. I’m super excited for your wedding!

I also visit your blog daily. :)

jenniferL posted the following on July 17, 2009 at 7:38 pm.

what a great dress and you made them!!! i love the green and yellow combo too.

Christina posted the following on July 20, 2009 at 11:52 am.

Lisa … I am so lucky to have you as a sister! I can’t wait to stand up with you at your wedding in these absolutly adorable and comfortable dresses!

mandie posted the following on July 29, 2009 at 4:34 pm.

These are AWESOME! Can’t wait to see how great the girls look in them!

Kristen posted the following on September 3, 2009 at 4:34 pm.

i just stumbled upon your blog via craftster….i have been going CRAZY trying to find flattering, affordable bridesmaid dresses. what a perfect idea! i love your colors too. i can’t wait to get sewing!

Pingback from Our Wedding: Part 1 | Pre-Ceremony | The Blog! Lisa Welge Photography & Design

[...] at the Cary House hotel. Here is a photo of my sister’s figuring out how to tie the wrap dresses I made [...]

jc posted the following on September 22, 2009 at 11:48 am.

lisa,
you have the most awesome wedding i’ve ever seen!!! could you share how you added a tube top to the bridesmaid dresses–how much fabric you used and what you did to combine it with the pattern? my mom sews and my wedding is a few months away, i think this could be great for the bridesmaids!

--> LisaWelge posted the following on September 22, 2009 at 1:38 pm.

Thank you! I added about a 12 inch strip folded in half to the waist bands and sewed it in along that seam. If you look at Rositchery’s tutorial, she has a waistband, I just made that a bit bigger. Best thing is the girl can wear the tube top up or down for different looks and it adds more support!

Kristen posted the following on September 22, 2009 at 1:49 pm.

Those are absolutely gorgeous. Can I ask what kind of fabric you used? I’ve read to use a jersey knit, but I’m pretty confused on what kind to get. Do you remember what kind of knit you got and where you got it from? Thanks!

--> LisaWelge posted the following on September 22, 2009 at 3:33 pm.

I believe it was a spandex knit. It’s hard for me to remember now, but I bought it at JoAnns Fabrics. Fabrics with a 4-way stretch that don’t curl too much work best.

Elizabeth posted the following on October 2, 2009 at 2:36 pm.

You have no idea what a wild chase you’ve started me on this past week!

I found your blog through Elisa Blaha’s blog (and I found HERS through another photographer’s blog http://freshartphotography.com/), after Elise posted about your wedding photos. So I looked through the photos of your wedding, and was so intrigued by your bridesmaids dresses. And then I saw this post about the dresses specifically, and went off on a wild goose chase and I’ve spent the last week or more trying to read about infinity dresses on Craftster.

I finally made a dress this past Sunday with help from my mother-in-law. And since then I’ve been trying to read more on Craftster too, and got to page 50 of the 138-page post. I stopped at 50 and skipped forward to page 138, then checked page 137 and your post was there! So I feel like I just came full circle.

Anyway, I DID make a dress (it’s in this post: http://sixgoldencoins.blogspot.com/2009/09/my-weekend-in-photos_28.html) and wanted to thank you for sending me down this crazy, long, winding road.

I enjoy your blog, your amazing talent in photography, and LOVED the photos and emotion from your wedding. The photo of your husband with a tear trickling down his face is priceless. When you have your first big married fight, remember that photo. :)

Thanks for sharing your world with us!

--> LisaWelge posted the following on October 2, 2009 at 4:37 pm.

Wow, that’s amazing! And yeah, when I first heard about the infinity dress, I read that ENTIRE thread on craftster before I made my first one. I was actually wearing one the day Geoff proposed! I’m so glad you’ve been inspired!!

Megan posted the following on October 22, 2009 at 10:22 pm.

Hello!
I found your wedding on 100 Layer Cake. It is fantastic. I am from the Bay Area though and cannot figure out your location. It was beautiful and was wondering if you minded filling me in.
blessings,
Megan

--> LisaWelge posted the following on October 22, 2009 at 11:09 pm.

Thanks Megan! We are from Sacramento, CA but our wedding was in Camino (the foothills on the way to Tahoe).

Cassandra posted the following on October 23, 2009 at 7:24 am.

Lisa. The dresses you made were beautiful! I have to know if you dyed them yourself?!? and If you did what brand of dye. I know your busy but I would greatly appreciate it.

Cassandra

--> LisaWelge posted the following on October 23, 2009 at 3:57 pm.

Thank you! No, I didn’t dye it. I bought the fabric from JoAnns. :)

Melanie posted the following on December 8, 2009 at 12:14 am.

The dresses came out fabulous. You did an awesome job! Thanks for giving this bride to be the motivations to go through with making this dresses myself. If you have any tips please do email me.

One last thing; I can’t seem to find the right type of fabric. I’ve ran across a few… but the ones I did run across didn’t exactly scream “I’M THE ONE”… Please help!! Eternaly greatful and again THANK YOU!

-melanie-

Lindsey posted the following on January 4, 2010 at 6:46 pm.

Wow, you made those? They look fabulous! You are a woman of many talents!

Diane Cutsforth posted the following on January 19, 2010 at 5:41 pm.

Hi Lisa,

I also want to make these dresses for my bridesmaids. Can you tell me how much fabric you used for the standard dress? All of the fabric at JoAnn’s is only 58″ wide, so I was curious as to whether you just cut a half circle with the fabric doubled (aka you big you made your radius for the skirt circle), or if you ended up cutting two half circles.

I read the Rowena post, but I still can’t figure out whether I walk into JoAnn’s and ask for 2,3,4 or 5 yards of fabric.

Thank you for your help! I want to whip out a sample to show my girls when we shop for my dress next weekend :)

Melody posted the following on February 1, 2010 at 8:51 pm.

The dress is amazing. The photos of the dresses are amazing. The way the green pops is gorgeous. I might try making these for my wedding!

Amy Jo posted the following on February 27, 2010 at 2:14 pm.

What fabric did you use? I’m supposed to come up w/ my own bridesmaid dress for my friend’s wedding, and as I’m the only bridemaid I can pick anything I want. I would definitely wear this again, but I can’t figure out what fabric to use or where to get it. My friend made one w/ swimsuit fabric. It worked, but I didn’t like the texture; and it made the dress hang a little differently than I was hoping.

--> LisaWelge posted the following on February 28, 2010 at 9:03 am.

Thank you! Melanie and Diane, The fabric I used was (*I think*) a jersey spandex. It’s important that the fabric can stretch 4-ways. Hope that helps! Good luck with your dresses!

Anna Kjærulff posted the following on March 1, 2010 at 3:48 pm.

Hi Lisa Welge
Great pictures of the bridesmaid dresses!
Your pictures inspire to choose the same color fore the bridesmaid dresses! It is heavenly looking! Well done!

Best regards Anna, Denmark

Jenny posted the following on May 27, 2010 at 5:30 am.

Hi!!

i am in the process of figuring out how to do these dresses for my bff’s wedding!

how did you do the build in tube top? what kind of material did you use? did you have to get all individual measurements from your girls or did you make a “one size”? where did you start your waist measurement? from the belly button or from below the bust line?

sorry to charge all these questions at you! i would really appreciate any wisdom you have! i am a decent sewer but i just need to visually wrap my brain around the pattern and how it will work for the girls i haven’t met!

thanks!
jenny from maine

Jenny posted the following on May 28, 2010 at 7:15 am.

hi there!!
your dresses are beautiful! my friend Chels is getting married and has asked me to make these dresses for us bridesmaids! i am very excited to get started!

can i ask you how you put in a built in bra? i’m a relatively newer sewer so i am still learning! :) also- where did you find your material? did you use matte jersey? we are having a hard time finding just the right material for this project.

any advice would be wonderful! thank you!

Tiffany posted the following on June 12, 2010 at 9:32 pm.

They are beautiful. I love the photos too. I’ve been thinking about doing this for my bridesmaids, but I’m not that good at sewing and I couldn’t find an official pattern anywhere to give to a tailor.

Ty posted the following on August 3, 2010 at 3:52 pm.

Lovely dress!

How did you tweak the maternity MOH dress? I am 6 months pregnant and will be wearing the dress in 3 weeks.

--> LisaWelge posted the following on August 3, 2010 at 4:20 pm.

Ty,

I just added extra fabric to the bottom of what would be the tummy area. You can also cut it to length while you are wearing it, so that it is the same length from the floor all the way around.

Dutches posted the following on August 30, 2010 at 5:14 pm.

I love the color and the fabric looks so vibrant and eco friendly. I’ve been looking for this type dress but found the prices ridiculous. The flow of your fabric looks nice..very airy.! BTW your photography ain’t too shabby either.
Dutches

Veronica posted the following on September 17, 2010 at 6:32 am.

These are beautiful! We’re trying to do the same thing for my best friend’s wedding. Where did you buy the material? We’re looking for the same kind of material, but I want to make sure I get the best price on it since we need to make 8 dresses.

Thanks for sharing!

Kate posted the following on October 1, 2010 at 10:36 am.

I am planning on making the same things, I saw a pattern over at craftster but yours are amazing! I would love to know the type of material you used- I am new to sewing and I think it would help!